Mighty Bulls down Quelaton

HARARE - Motor Action turned on the heat in the second half after a dull opening period to beat relegated Quelaton in a Castle Premiership encounter yesterday.

Yves Ebabali capped a fine afternoon mesmerising Quelaton defenders with his tricky runs on the left flank and was duly rewarded in the 56th minute after he opened Motor Action’s account.

Ebabali took a shot on the run on the edge of the box that kissed the crossbar before beating Quelaton goalkeeper Freedom Magaba.

Three minutes after the goal Motor Action coach Joey Antipas rested Norman Maroto for Gift Phiri and the move soon paid dividends.

Phiri scored the Mighty Bulls’ second in the 70th minute to seal Quelaton’s fate.

Ebabali provided the assist after whipping in a cross from the left that James Jam teed on the path of Phiri, who without hesitation hit a stunning volley from outside the box.

The match started off with the home side on the offensive and after four minutes, last weekend’s hat-trick hero in the 5-0 drubbing of Blue Rangers at Gwanzura, Merciful Ncube skied a cross from Ebabali.

In the 30th minute, Maroto, who seemed to be carrying an injury headed off target an inviting cross from left back Blessing Chimwamuchere.

After the break, Quelaton had the first meaningful attempt at goal when Thulani Moyo called into action the home side’s skipper and goalkeeper Marlon Jani with a low shot.

The visitors however sunk into oblivion thereafter.

Motor Action though they had found the opening goal but referee Batsirai Muchenje ruled out Ncube goal for offside in the 49th minute.

The home side however, found the break through moment later through the evergreen Ebabali.  

After the match, Mighty Bulls coach Joey Antipas declared his intentions of a top six finish.

“In the first half there was a bit of complacency but the boys came back stronger in the second half,” Antipas said after the match.

 “The build-up to the goals was very impressive, we hope to carry on pushing in our next match against CAPS United and possibly end up in the top six when the league ends in three weeks’ time.”

Quelaton coach Farai Sibanda said although his team would be playing Division One football next season they still wanted to go down fighting.

 “We lost our focus especially in the second half after doing well not to concede a goal in the first half it’s unfortunate we won’t be playing in the premiership next season,’ he said.

“But our play today (yesterday) was a betrayal to our resolution where we agreed that we would want to go out fighting until the final game.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.