Zifa to fire 'treasonous' Warriors

HARARE - Zifa president Cuthbert Dube has labelled the Warriors’ weekend performance against Angola as “treasonous” and threatened to disband the entire national side following the 2-0 shattering defeat.

Although Dube’s administration has vowed to stay in office despite the result, the Zifa board has partially accepted blame for the result, which saw Zimbabwe fail to qualify for next year’s African Nations Cup finals in South Africa.

But an infuriated Dube yesterday turned the heat on the players, accusing them of a “disastrous” performance particularly after the corporate world had promised the players such lucrative incentives as hefty winning bonuses and residential stands in a leafy suburb.

“We need to reflect on the continued existence of our current national team,” Dube said during a reconciliation ceremony between Zifa and the Zimbabwe National Soccer Supporters Association (ZNSSA) yesterday.

“Right now I have a decision, but I am not a dictator. The board will decide. We have the Under-23, Under-20 and Under-17. That’s our team for the future. Whatever will happen…but what they have done is treasonous. Yes, in other countries it is treasonous. But the board will decide.”

Meanwhile, Dube also made sensational claims he has evidence of match-fixing in the match, which overturned the Warriors’ 3-1 first leg lead.

Dube said his association has unearthed evidence that the team was infiltrated again, leading to the 2-0 defeat, a result which sealed the Palancras Negras’ passage to Afcon 2013 at the expense of Zimbabwe.

Both goals were scored inside seven minutes of the game by Angola striker Manucho.

The tough-talking Zifa boss said his board had received “fresh” information on the off-field events that transpired in Angola.

“The Angolan match was fixed,” Dube said.

“We are getting reports. But other information is still coming through.
“There were some funny faces in Angola. Some photos were taken and we have taken stock.”

Turning to the completion of Asiagate report, which contain recommendations of life and lengthy bans on individuals found guilty of match-fixing, Dube said: “I’m very pleased that we have come to the end of the 11-months wait.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.