Mugabe convoy in fatal crash

HARARE - President Robert Mugabe’s motorcade was yesterday involved in yet another fatal accident in Harare’s leafy Borrowdale suburb, in what is turning to be a horror year for the 88-year-old strongman.

Since Mugabe’s motorcade, one of the longest in Africa, ran over a madman in June this year when he was travelling to his rural home in Zvimba, several other accidents have followed.

Police confirmed the death of one person in the accident that involved a truck and one of Mugabe’s outriders but could not divulge the name of the deceased as the next of kin are yet to be informed.

When the Daily News arrived at the accident scene at the corner of Borrowdale and Garth roads, fire fighters had contained the fire that had left marks on a pine tree close to the road.

Police spokesperson assistant commissioner Charity Charamba confirmed that Mugabe’s motorcade was involved
in the horror crush.

She said the accident occurred in the morning around 10am.

“I can confirm that there was an accident. It was fatal with one person dying. We are still investigating the cause of the accident,” said Charamba.

Witnesses said they “just saw a ball of fire” as one of Mugabe’s outriders rode on flames before plunging on the roadside.

“It was so quick no one saw what really happened. It was like in movie and people quickly moved to the scene,” said a witness.

Mugabe lives in Borrowdale and is picked daily, when he is in the country, by the snaking motorcade known to be one of the longest in Africa.

According to witnesses, the usually sluggish fire brigade arrived at the accident scene adjacent to the up-market Sam Levy Shopping mall just in the nick of time to extinguish the flames that burnt grass and also a part of a pine tree nearby.

Witnesses said traffic came to a standstill as motorists stopped to watch the horror.

Despite the frenzy caused by the accident, Mugabe’s car did not stop, neither did any of the vehicles that were part of the motorcade, witnesses said.

Yesterday’s accident is the fourth for Mugabe’s convoy in as many months.

In June, a police lead vehicle sent to clear traffic rammed into a commuter minibus carrying 22 passengers.

A male passenger in the minibus died on impact while 15 others - including two police officers – suffered injuries.

On another trip to Zvimba in the same month, the presidential convoy was involved in two accidents.

In the first, a homeless man was knocked down by a police motorbike in Harare. The police outrider and the victim were both hospitalised with the vagrant later dying.

As the convoy left Kutama on the return journey, an open-top army Land Cruiser carrying members of the presidential guard burst a tyre and overturned, killing Private Jeoffrey Mukotekwa and wounding several others.

On all occasions police blamed negligent motorists accusing the public of ignoring police signals and the law.

    Comments (1)

    Give us the pic of the bruning rider, whats wrong with you pple or did you create the story

    Ndabatei - 5 October 2012

    Post a comment

    Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
    Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
    - Editor

    Your email address will not be shared.