Domboshawa killings: Suspects in court

HARARE - Two men arrested on accusations of murdering three people in one night in Chinamhora area have appeared in court.

Blessing Kunaka, 34, and Joshua Chibond, 35, appeared before magistrate Anita Tshuma facing murder, attempted murder and robbery charges.

The duo is facing three counts of murder, one count of attempted murder and two counts of robbery.
Prosecutor Fransisca Mukumbiri told the court the duo committed the offences during the night of September 7, this year.

According to state papers, the two committed the crimes while in the company of a third accomplice Peter Dirayi Chibhobhoribho, who is still at large.

The gang allegedly went to Chinamhora, Mverechena Shopping Centre on the day in question, with Chibonda armed with a 19-ring chain in his satchel, while Chibhobhoribho was armed with a knife.

It is alleged the gang walked along a footpath linking Borrowdale Study Farm and Mverechena Shopping Centre at around 8pm, where they met the now deceased Wilson Mateyu.

Chibonda allegedly grabbed Mateyu by the throat, while Kunaka searched his pockets.

They took his two cell phones and a pair of shoes before thoroughly assaulting him with the chain until he fell unconscious.

They dragged him for 60 metres into the bush, and left him for dead.

Mateyu was found by passers-by  the following morning and taken to Makumbi Hospital before being transferred to Parirenyatwa Hospital where he died.

At 1am, the court heard the two met the now deceased Clemence Johannes whom they assaulted and dragged for seven metres into the bush, before leaving him for dead. Johannes was later found dead in the morning.
Two hours later, they were yet on another murderous encounter after they met the now deceased Cephas Dehwa who was coming from a night club.

After searching him and realising he had no money, they assaulted him.

Dehwa died the following day at Harare Central Hospital.

Thirty minutes after this encounter, the court heard they attacked Paddington Zhakatawho, who is still battling for his life at Parirenyatwa Hospital.

Two other people, Wandani Tsoka and Casper Muvirimi escaped death by a whisker after being attacked by the gang.

The gang was later arrested after they were tracked through Tsoka’s cell phone which they stole and sold to Marlven Saul Chikasha. - Tendai Kamhungira

    Post a comment

    Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
    Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
    - Editor

    Your email address will not be shared.