Chicken Inn upset Dynamos

BULAWAYO - Defending champions Dynamos suffered a major setback in their title defence when they lost to Chicken Inn yesterday.

A second half own goal by Glamour Boys captain Guthrie Zhokinyi gifted the Gamecocks with the winner on 79 minutes.

The Dynamos centre-back beat his keeper George Chigova as they both tried to deal with a pass into the danger zone by Chicken Inn left back Brain Mbiriri.

Yesterday’s defeat allowed Bulawayo giants Highlanders to regain pole position on the log table after their 1-0 victory over Hwange at the Colliery.

Dynamos coach Callisto Pasuwa said his charges lost the plot by playing the long ball.

“Our guys were pumping the ball forward instead of playing the ball around because Chicken Inn were sitting back and waiting for us to attack and the long ball played to their advantage,” Pasuwa said.

“We have to go back and organise so that we win maximum points in the coming games.”

DeMbare began the game the more adventurous of the two sides with Denver Mukamba proving to be a handful for Chicken Inn, forcing midfielder Thabani Goredema to play in a defensive position in support of right-back Moses Jackson.

The Gamecocks were able to soak the visitors’ pressure and came into the game after seven minutes when Young Warriors linkman Kuda Mahachi began to ask questions of Dynamos right-back David Kutyauripo.

Mahachi shot wide on 11 minutes after finding himself at the end of an Evans Chikwaikwai throw-in and in reply Dynamos created their first real chance of the day on 13 minutes when Tawanda Muparati headed over a Kutyauripo knock-down off a Mukamba cross.

The visitors had a genuine call for a penalty rejected by referee Happy Mabhena on 43 minutes after Chicken Inn keeper Liberty Chirava brought down Dynamos striker Martin Vengesai in the penalty box.

Chirava had failed to hold on to a cross by Mukamba and hauled down Vengesai as he tried to reclaim the ball but the match officials saw nothing wrong with the challenge much to the chagrin of the Dynamos players and their fans.

After the break both teams made changes to their personnel as they sought to improve their attacking options.

Chicken Inn brought on speedy winger Tendai Ndoro and took out Danny Phiri on 58 minutes while Dynamos responded by replacing veteran Murape Murape with former Gunners star Cliff Sekete on 61 minutes.

Chirava denied Dynamos the opener on 62 minutes when the he saved Muparati’s attempt at goal.

This chance came about after Gamecocks skipper Felix Chindungwe’s ill-advised sliding tackle had totally missed Mukamba’s cut back the ball to roll for Muparati whose low shot was collected cleanly by the Chicken Inn goalie.

The home side then took the lead courtesy of a defensive pile up between Chigova and his central defenders with 11 minutes left to play and Ndoro had a chance to extend his team’s lead on 82 minutes but his long range stinger was tipped over for a corner by Chigova.

Chicken Inn finished the game a man short after striker Thomas Chimenya was shown the red card for taking too long to exit the pitch after being substituted for veteran defender Herbert Dick.

Dick eventually replaced Mahachi and the home side held on for a famous victory although Zhokinyi had a chance to level matters on the stroke of full time but inexplicably shot over the bar from a good position.

After the match, Dynamos striker Rodrick Mutuma and Chicken Inn right-back Jackson were shown the red card by referee Mabhena as tempers flared.

“It is always difficult to play big teams but we told the boys to go out there and express themselves and I am happy that we got the three points,” Chicken Inn assistant Mandla Mpofu said.

Meanwhile, basement side Quelaton returned to winning ways with a home victory over former champions Monomotapa at Luveve yesterday.

The home side had seemed destined for another morale sapping loss when the visitors raced to a first minute lead through a Makai Kawashu goal.

Simba Manwere’s equaliser two minutes later must have blown some wind onto Kwela Kwela’s sails as they went on to take the lead on eight minutes courtesy of a Timothy January strike.

Innocent Kutsanzira then extended the home side’s lead on 33 minutes to secure the maximum points for the top flight strugglers.

Monomotapa did manage to reduce the arrears with five minutes left on the clock through Osborne Mukuradare but, Quelaton held on for a rare victory.

Yesterday’s victory takes Kwela Kwela’s points tally to nine with seven games to go before the curtain comes down on the season. - Sakheleni Nxumalo

    Post a comment

    Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
    Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
    - Editor

    Your email address will not be shared.