CAPS revival continues

HARARE - Two late goals yesterday helped rejuvenated CAPS United chalk their third successive victory in the Castle Premiership.

Makepekepe, who unleashed almost ceaseless attacks into the Rangers goal area, finally broke the relegation-threatened side’s resistance after 78 minutes through Hardlife Zvirekwi after goalkeeper Pedzisai Gumiremhete parried substitute David Rediyoni’s effort back into play.

Former Zimbabwe international Shingi Kawondera scored his first goal in Makepekepe colours to make the game safe for Taurai Mangwiro’s men.

“We made life difficult for ourselves because we missed a lot of chances,” said CAPS assistant coach Mkhuphali Masuku.

“Blue Rangers parked the bus. If we were not creating chances we would have been worried. Our performance is improving.”

CAPS, who before the match wore warm-up T-shirts emblazoned with a “get-well-soon” message for injured Hwange striker Rodwell Chinyengetere, laid siege on the Rangers’ goal area from as early as the second minute when Kumbuyani whipped in a delightful cross that somehow eluded the entire CAPS strikeforce.

Moments later, new CAPS striker Nqobile Mpala’s powerful header hit the upright and ricocheted back into play.

Dogged defending by Rangers kept marauding CAPS at bay throughout the opening half in which the relegation-haunted side only got into the Makepekepe box twice.

CAPS continued to spurn chance after chance and were almost made to rue their wastefulness midway through the second half when Rangers had a goal disallowed for offside. Norest Mkwezeramba, who is on loan at Rangers from CAPS, hit a beautiful free kick that bounced against the cross bar into the path of David Temwanjira.

The Rangers striker fired past goalie Itayi Chiwara, but referee Luke Kunatsa disallowed the goal.

Meanwhile, Buffaloes goalkeeper Hopeful Bere’s heroics ensured that his team returned home to Mutare with a point courtesy of a one all draw against Motor Action yesterday, reports Austin Karonga at Motor Action Sports Club.  

The visitors had drawn first blood in the 54th minute through Roy Mwenga, who tapped in on the run a cross from Phenias Bamusi.

The lead was however, short-lived as Motor Action fought back strongly, resulting in Ngonidzashe Maviri finding the back of the net with a beautiful out foot inside the box.

    Post a comment

    Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
    Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
    - Editor

    Your email address will not be shared.