CAPS remain cautious

HARARE - CAPS United are keeping their feet on the ground after their Mbada Diamonds Cup first round win over Motor Action last Saturday, according to assistant coach Mkhupani Masuku.

Makepekepe, who have had a difficult 2012 league season, beat the last season’s runners-up 1-0 courtesy of Hardlife Zvirekwi’s last-minute strike at the match held at Trojan Mine in Bindura.

“The most important thing is the next game that we are going to play before we can talk of winning the cup,” Masuku said after the match.

“We are happy that the organisers are taking the game to every corner of the country but that type of pitch is not good enough for a premiership match.

“But on the match; I thought that maybe we would go for a penalty shootout although we ended up getting a lucky goal.”

Both teams struggled for consistency on the bumpy Trojan pitch which is the home of Northern Region Division One side Mwana Africa.

With the two teams headed for a straight penalty shout-out, Zvirekwi got the all-important goal for United three minutes before fulltime.

Zvirekwi had the simple task of tapping in the ball home after getting at the end of Shingi Kawondera’s pass inside the box.

The Mighty Bulls had started the match on the offensive with Protash Kabwe coming close just after kick-off when he was fed by Misheck Mburayi on the right.

At the other end CAPS went close when a diving Rahman Kutsanzira was a few inches away from connecting with Kawondera’s cross as the Mighty Bulls survived.

At that stage the Mighty Bulls were living dangerous and had Pride Tafirenyika to thank for keeping the score 0-0 when he mistakenly stopped Asani Nhongo’s goal-bound corner kick.

With CAPS doing most of the attacking Joey Antipas’ men depend mostly on attacking on the break and in the 33rd minute Yvas Ebabali left Nhongo for dead before sending in a wicked cross into the danger area.

Luckily for United, Zvirekwi was there to intervene before Merciful Ncube could pounce.

The United rhythm was disturbed shortly before halftime when coach Taurai Mangwiro was forced to make two injury-inspired substitutions.

Washington Pakamisa picked a groin injury on 42 minutes, in came Leonard Fiyadho and on the stroke of half time, Kutsanzira was stretchered off the field to be replaced by Tapiwa Kumbuyani.

In the second half the match failed to live up to the same entertaining levels as the first half as both sides dropped the high tempo. In the end it was Zvirekwi, who provided the sting in the tail when it looked like the dreaded penalty shoot-out was inevitable.

Makepekepe midfielder Tendai Samanja was voted man-of-the-match and walked away with a shield and $500 prize money.

    Post a comment

    Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
    Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
    - Editor

    Your email address will not be shared.