Hwange appeal against DeMbare decision

HARARE - Hwange will lodge an appeal against the Zifa Appeals Committee’s decision to reinstate Dynamos’ 4-2 victory over the Colliery side in a bad-tempered league match at Rufaro Stadium on May 6.

The decision by Zifa’s top appellate on Monday effectively nullified the decision by the Premier Soccer League Disciplinary Committee, which had nullified DeMbare’s 4-2 victory and ordered a replay at a neutral venue.

The PSL Appeals Committee’s decision was a penalty for the alleged assault of Hwange coach Nation Dube by three Dynamos marshals, leading to Chipangano to fulfil that ill-tempered match without their coach.

Hwange secretary Burzil Dube told the Daily News immediately after his club’s meeting on the matter yesterday afternoon that they had decided to go for arbitration.

“We have decided to appeal against the decision by the Zifa Appeals Committee; we are going for arbitration,” Dube said.

“We have already advised Zifa that we will lodge the appeal within the stipulated period.”

Dube added that his club felt that awarding the game to Dynamos was a serious miscarriage of justice.

“There are a lot of inconsistencies in the judgment. Why should they award them three points and in the same breath allow the $2 000 fine to stand. Awarding them the three points and then fining them is a very illogical decision because giving them the points means they are innocent. I can assure you that we will detail all the inconsistencies in our appeal.”

If Hwange take their case to the Commercial Arbitration Centre (Cac), they will follow in the footsteps of Central Region side Tripple B, who challenged a Zifa Appeals Committee’s decision to award the Zifa Central Region Premiership ticket Hardbody late last year.

Tripple B lost their case despite paying a whopping $7 000 to have their case against Gweru-based Hardbody referred to the Cac arbitral panel consisting former Chief Justice Anthony Gubbay and Harare mayor Muchadeyi Masunda.

Meanwhile, the Premier Soccer League has washed its hands off the case.

“The moment we referred the matter to the Premier Soccer League Disciplinary Committee the matter effectively went off our hands. It is now up to the concerned clubs to react to the judgment. Dynamos appealed against the disciplinary committee’s ruling and in the same manner Hwange can appeal against the Zifa Appeals Committee’s decision if they so wish,” said PSL chief executive Kennedy Ndebele yesterday.

Efforts to get a comment from Highlanders, who for the first time this season dropped to number two on the log, after the Zifa Appeals Committee’s decision, were fruitless.

Club secretary Andrew Tapela referred the Daily News to chairperson Peter Dube, whose phone was repeatedly unreachable.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.