Bulls fail to stop Bosso juggernaut

HARARE - A spirited second half performance by former champions Motor Action at Barbourfields Stadium on Sunday failed to stop log leaders Highlanders from chalking up their thirteenth win of the season to take their unbeaten start to 20 games.

Bosso got off to a flying start with both their goals coming in the first quarter of the game through former Mighty Bulls player Bheki Ncube and goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda.

The home side impressed with their passing game in the early stages of the first half with the usual suspects, Peter “Rio” Moyo and wingbacks Bruce Kangwa and Bruce Tshuma involved in some brilliant build-ups.

Man-of-the-match Tshuma provided the assist for Highlanders’ first goal when he crossed for Bheki Ncube to score past veteran Motor Action goalkeeper Marlon Jani on eight minutes.

Sibanda then extended Bosso’s lead from the penalty spot on 13 minutes and the home side’s fans must have begun to entertain thoughts of a massacre at Emagumeni.

This was not to be as the visitors quickly regrouped, with former Highlanders player Protasho Kabwe giving Highlanders captain Innocent Mapuranga a torrid time whenever he gained possession.

Kabwe’s enterprise was not put to good use by Motor Action strikers, Yves Ebabali and Merciful Ncube, but the game was proving to be a contest rather than a one-sided affair.

And the game could have been more exciting had it been left to flow by Gweru based referee Thomas Masaa.
The referee seemed trigger happy and quickly lost the respect of both sets of players with some dubious calls.

It was even worse in the second half of the game when the match officiating bordered on the comical.

After the match, Mighty Bulls head coach Joey Antipas described it as a “refereeing circus.”

Motor Action put up a better showing in the second half and stopped Highlanders from knocking the ball around courtesy of a more physical approach to the game.

Their industry was rewarded when they won a penalty on 49 minutes after Merciful was fouled in the penalty box by Highlanders defender Eric Mudzingwa.

Mighty Bulls defender Morris Kadzola, who conceded the penalty which resulted in Highlanders’ second goal, made amends when he converted his side’s own spot kick for what proved to be their face saver.

After the match, Bosso coach Kelvin Kaindu maintained his stance that his side is not gunning for the title.

“We thank God that we have gone for 20 games without experiencing defeat but we will continue to take every game as it comes and not focus on what may happen at the end of the season,” Kaindu said.

The Zambian gaffer has since the beginning of the season maintained that he is in the process of building a team after taking over a team largely made up of players that had been off loaded by other teams.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.