News » Fungai Kwaramba, Staff Writer
Wednesday, 24 April 2013 10:57
HARARE - Violent vigilante groups such as Chipangano exist with the approval of the feared military establishment in the country, according to think tank group Zimbabwe Democracy Institute (ZDI). In a research paper released yesterday titled Security Sector Factor in Zimbabwe’s...Read More
|
News » Jeffrey Muvundusi, Own Correspondent
Friday, 05 April 2013 11:09
BULAWAYO - President Robert Mugabe’s firm grip on the military is a cause for concern, especially with Zimbabwe heading for what could be do-or die elections, a US human rights centre has said. A delegation from the Robert F Kennedy Centre...Read More
|
News »
Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:11
HARARE - The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (Zec) has admitted to the long-held view that it is staffed with a militarised secretariat. Addressing delegates at a workshop on conflict management in Harare yesterday, Zec commissioner Bessie Fadzai Nhandara admitted some of the...Read More
|
News »
Sunday, 10 February 2013 12:20
HARARE - A Zanu PF faction led by Defence minister, Emmerson Mnangagwa fears he may be the target of a suspected factional crackdown that led to the suspension of the Mike Madiro-led executive over alleged embezzlement of over $700 000. Top...Read More
|
News » Richard Chidza, Staff Writer
Wednesday, 06 February 2013 12:26
HARARE - Defence minister Emmerson Mnangagwa has wadded into a political storm with his stonewalling comments on military reforms. Addressing senior military personnel this week Mnangagwa, a potential successor to President Robert Mugabe, declared there will not be any security sector...Read More
|
News »
Sunday, 27 January 2013 12:34
JOHANNESBURG - The South African National Defence Force is about to send a gift of helicopters and spares to the Zimbabwe Defence Forces (ZDF), raising the spectre they will be used in a military-backed campaign to put President Robert Mugabe and...Read More
|
News »
Sunday, 27 January 2013 12:25
JOHANNESBURG - The SA National Defence Force (SANDF) has defended the disposal of military helicopter airframes and spares to Zimbabwe amid threats of legal action to stop the move. The Mail&Guardian newspaper (M&G) reported that fears had surfaced that retired military...Read More
|
News »
Sunday, 20 January 2013 12:00
HARARE - A major Chinese mall and hotel project — built on a Harare wetland near the National Sports Stadium — is under military guard, in what could be a first for commercial assets in Zimbabwe, the Weekend Post can reveal....Read More
|
World »
Tuesday, 15 January 2013 10:30
PARIS - The UN Security Council has unanimously backed France's military intervention in Mali to fight Islamist rebels, officials have said. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said he hoped the intervention would help restore "Mali's constitutional order and territorial integrity". Thousands...Read More
|
News » Richard Chidza, Staff Writer
Monday, 07 January 2013 10:32
HARARE - Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai’s MDC and other parties are sweating over what they say is a covert military operation that could scupper prospects of a peaceful election. They have now demanded that a coalition government organ whose operations are...Read More
|
Africa »
Thursday, 06 December 2012 13:32
JOHANNESBURG - A military plane carrying 11 passengers has crashed in South Africa's mountainous east. The plane, which had been travelling from Pretoria to Mthatha, went missing on Wednesday but the initial search was abandoned due to poor weather. The wreckage...Read More
|
News »
Monday, 19 November 2012 12:40
HARARE - Finance minister Tendai Biti has ramped up next year’s defence spending to $356 million in a move that lifts the Zimbabwean military from four years of neglect and underfunding. For the first time, Biti has not just increased the...Read More
|
World »
Thursday, 04 October 2012 16:17
ANKARA - Turkey's parliament has authorised troops to launch cross-border action against Syria, following Syria's deadly shelling of a Turkish town. The bill, passed by 320 to 129, also permits strikes against Syrian targets. But Deputy Prime Minister Besir Atalay insisted...Read More
|