News »
Monday, 29 April 2013 12:12
HARARE - Government has expanded the circumcision drive by casting the net to boys as young as 12 years to meet a 2015 target of 1, 2 million circumcised males. Previously circumcision was being performed on males from the age of...Read More
|
News »
Tuesday, 16 April 2013 10:54
HARARE - Government is looking at ways to mitigate the deepening shortages of cooking oil, a Cabinet minister said yesterday. Finance minister Tendai Biti told journalists at a press conference that industrialists had told him recently that the country was headed...Read More
|
News » Gugulethu Nyazema, Staff Writer
Friday, 12 April 2013 12:41
HARARE - Government is not giving priority to preventing cancers in children, a cancer specialist has said. A local medical doctor, Inam Chitsike said the low prioritisation in fighting the preventable diseases was causing serious child mortality in under-five-year-olds. Chitsike said...Read More
|
News »
Thursday, 28 March 2013 11:46
HARARE - Western countries have encouraged Zimbabwe’s inclusive government to follow through on its agreement with the Southern African Development Community (Sadc) to hold free and credible elections, saying they were prepared to work with any democratically elected government. A delegation...Read More
|
News »
Sunday, 24 March 2013 13:28
HARARE - A Labour Court president has questioned the relevance of commissions in the country if government is not willing to provide funding for smooth operations. In an arbitral award to a group of Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (Zacc) employees, Labour Court...Read More
|
News » Jeffrey Muvundusi, Own Correspondent
Sunday, 24 March 2013 13:26
BULWAYO - A Lupane-based youths civic group has reburied the protruding remains of suspected Gukurahundi victims who were buried at a mass grave at Silwane Primary School in Lupane, Matabeleland North in defiance of government directives. Mid last year the minister...Read More
|
Business »
Thursday, 14 March 2013 11:15
HARARE - The Confederation of Zimbabwe Industries (CZI) has engaged government in a bid to raise funds to ensure a hassle-free election that guarantees business certainty and a conducive operating environment. Traditionally, Zimbabwe’s polls have been marred by violence which in...Read More
|
Opinion & Analysis »
Thursday, 14 March 2013 11:06
HARARE - Zimbabwe has missed out on the chance to make a lasting impression on the international market during the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) general assembly, following revelations that government is not able to fulfil its $6 million pledge....Read More
|
Business »
Wednesday, 13 March 2013 10:37
HARARE - Zimbabwe's preparations to host the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) assembly could be in shambles following revelations that government will not release funds towards the exercise. Finance minister Tendai Biti — who had earlier promised to allocate $6...Read More
|
Business »
Wednesday, 13 March 2013 10:33
HARARE - Government has issued 365-day Treasury Bills to the National Social Security Authority and Old Mutual (OM) to raise $40 million. Tendai Biti, Finance minister, said the move was consistent with the prescribed asset requirements for pension funds and insurance...Read More
|
News »
Sunday, 24 February 2013 12:22
HARARE - Jonathan Moyo makes the point that the Zimplats Indigenisation Implementation Plan (ZIIP) has not been completed and, therefore, it is premature for any discussion as to the merits or demerits of the underlying transaction to meaningfully take place. ...Read More
|
News »
Friday, 15 February 2013 11:22
HARARE - Government was grossly short-changed in the $1 billion Zimbabwe Platinum Mines Limited (Zimplats’) indigenisation deal due to a combination of contradictions, misrepresentations and what appears to be deliberate blunders, the Daily News can reveal. As details of what was...Read More
|
Business »
Wednesday, 13 February 2013 13:57
HARARE - Government has repossessed nearly 28 000 hectares of platinum claims from Zimbabwe Platinum Mines Limited (Zimplats), in a move Mines minister Obert Mpofu said was meant to maximise benefits from the country’s resources. In a statement yesterday, Mpofu said...Read More
|
News »
Thursday, 07 February 2013 10:51
BULAWAYO - Government remains the biggest threat to the development of the education sector, a Cabinet minister has said. Education minister David Coltart (pictured) has blamed the poor pass rate recorded for last year’s ‘O’ Level examinations on warped government...Read More
|
News »
Sunday, 03 February 2013 14:07
HARARE - Zapu president Dumiso Dabengwa has blamed the British government and apartheid ruled South Africa for rigging the first ever elections under universal suffrage in 1980 to favour President Robert Mugabe’s Zanu PF. Dabengwa said the British Conservative party connived...Read More
|