Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
Mzembi denies authorising Asiagate trips
Thursday, 21 February 2013 11:19
HARARE - Tourism minister Walter Mzembi has denied writing letters to former Zifa chief executive Henrietta Rushwaya authorising some of the Warriors’ controversial trips to the Far East in 2009, where several invitational matches were fixed by an Asian betting syndicate.

Mzembi told the Chitungwiza Magistrates’ Court yesterday during the on-going trial of Rushwaya that he was not the author of two letters giving the Zimbabwe national side the go ahead to travel to Jordan in 2009.

“The letter can never be mine and will never be mine,” said Mzembi. “It became a metro-fabric record when I saw it on the front page of a local newspaper. The document does not originate from the Ministry of tourism.”

Mzembi was sucked into the Asiagate scandal last year after axed-Zifa programmes officer Jonathan Musavengana claimed while testifying at the Harare Magistrates’ Court that Zifa received letters from Mzembi approving the Jordan trip.

The minister denied ever signing the document and told the court that the signature on the letters is not his.

 “This is not my signature, it (the letter) does not sight any references as government letters does because government letters do not go out without any references,” said Mzembi.

“The letter does not contain my language. I do not write in this fashion.”

 Mzembi said he had no right to authorise any football matches in and outside the country.

 “I had no locus standi in authorising football matches. Even if this was Mzembi’s letter, I don’t know who might have authorised this. My signature will not pass anywhere.”

Under cross-examination by Rushwaya’s lawyer Charles Chinyama, Mzembi however said the former Zifa CEO could not possibly be the author of the letter since it was addressed to her.

“There is no way Rushwaya could have written a letter and address it to herself.”

 Before leaving the witness stand, Mzembi pleaded with the court to bring the matter to finality, saying it was “hurting” Zimbabwean football. - Ivan Zhakata
 
 
               
 
 
 

 


 
 
Popular Stories
 
‘CAPS not obsessed by Pakamisa’
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Ndebele warns clubs against violence
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Another NRL match abandoned
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Zim for Care Homes World Cup
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
CAPS hope for fresh start
0
Monday, 13 May 2013 Comments
New twist to Dynamos bid
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
HIV scare for Kirsty
1
Wednesday, 01 May 2013 Comments
Bosso mean business
0
Tuesday, 07 May 2013 Comments
Diya kicked out
0
Sunday, 05 May 2013 Comments
Platinum aim to end Bosso jinx
0
Thursday, 09 May 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 223
Article Count 493
Article Count 433
Article Count 467
Article Count 590
Cartoon
Weather