Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
We feel very safe: Pagels
Monday, 25 March 2013 12:16
ALEXANDRIA - Zimbabwe's arrival in Egypt for a six-day stay has generated a fair amount of media interest due to the unsettled political conditions in the North African country, but their German coach Klaus-Dieter Pagels says the team feels very safe.

The Warriors arrived here in batches on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning with little evidence of the unrest that hit the country in recent times.

Concerned about the team’s safety, the Zimbabwean Football Association (Zifa) had written to the Confederation of African Football (Caf) asking for the match to be moved to a neutral country, a request which was turned down.

The team’s arrival at Cairo International Airport, three-hour drive to the coastal city of Alexandria and stay at the five-star Radisson Hotel have all been incident-free and peaceful for the players and the rest of the Zimbabwean touring party.

“You are here, you can see for yourself,” Pagels told traveling journalists at an adjacent training ground owned by the hotel, whose well-groomed pitch makes a mockery of Zimbabwe’s best sports facilities.

Added Pagels: “Maybe most of the international media always tell bad things about Africa. As you can see we are free; nothing at all. All of us in this delegation are free. Are you not?”

Coming to Egypt, Pagels said he warned the players not to read too much into the situation obtaining in Egypt.

“We do not think about these things. I wouldn’t allow it to get into my players’ heads. We came to play football.”

Pagels, who has embarked on a drastic shake-up exercise in which he has put faith in a new generation of Zimbabwean footballers, will be taking charge of the Warriors in his first competitive match since a 2-1 friendly win over Botswana at home in February.

“The team is looking good, as you can see, they have had to learn fast.”

Pagels has been criticised by a number of fans, who felt he should have included a number of older players in his squad but the German has received backing from Zifa president Cuthbert Dube for his unwavering stance.

Speaking at the Warriors’ send-off ceremony before leaving Harare last week, the Zifa boss said the entire country must rally behind the new-look team Pagels has assembled. - Enock Muchinjo in Egypt
 
 
   
 
 
 

 


 
 
Popular Stories
 
‘CAPS not obsessed by Pakamisa’
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Ndebele warns clubs against violence
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Another NRL match abandoned
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Zim for Care Homes World Cup
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
CAPS hope for fresh start
0
Monday, 13 May 2013 Comments
New twist to Dynamos bid
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
HIV scare for Kirsty
1
Wednesday, 01 May 2013 Comments
Bosso mean business
0
Tuesday, 07 May 2013 Comments
Diya kicked out
0
Sunday, 05 May 2013 Comments
Platinum aim to end Bosso jinx
0
Thursday, 09 May 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 223
Article Count 493
Article Count 433
Article Count 467
Article Count 590
Cartoon
Weather