Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
New twist to Dynamos bid
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 14:26
HARARE - A report carried in this paper last week – disclosing that an unnamed South African businessman had tabled a bid around $5 million for Zimbabwean football giants Dynamos – has broken deafening silence from a splinter faction which five years ago lost a bitter battle to take control of the club.

The group, led by club legend George Shaya, says the club cannot be sold without their consent, claiming they are still legally the club’s rightful administration.

The faction has kept its distance since losing the battle, which at one time turned violent after its members, led by Ernest Kamba, were badly assaulted by supporters of the rival group in a bloody attack in 2008 after they tried to take over the club’s office in Harare suburb of Eastlea.  

Meanwhile, the Dynamos board yesterday dismissed the report carried in this paper as “mere speculation and conjecture on the part of this publication.

In a press release signed by board secretary Chris Kasiyazi, the record 19-time Zimbabwe champions insisted that DYNAMOS FOOTBALL CLUB IS NOT FOR SALE.

“Following publication in some newspaper alleging that Dynamos Football Club could be sold for up to five million dollars (US) if the club’s founders accept an offer tabled by a wealthy South African businessman, the Board of Directors would like to make it clear that DYNAMOS FOOTBALL CLUB IS NOT FOR SALE. This is a people’s club – period.

“The Board would like to disabuse this notion and assure our sponsor, supporters and the general public that this is mere speculation and conjecture on the part of this publication. Please put your minds to rest.”

The Daily News’ report, however, did not suggest the club had put itself up for sale, but merely reported that Dynamos officials met a prominent Harare lawyer whose client was offering up to $5m for the acquition of the club.

A spokesperson for the splinter group, Issac Nhema told the Daily News yesterday that the club cannot be sold without their full blessings, adding that “we have not given up yet on our battle, the case is continuing in the High Court in July.”
 
 
   
 
 
 

 


 
 
Popular Stories
 
‘CAPS not obsessed by Pakamisa’
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Ndebele warns clubs against violence
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Another NRL match abandoned
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Zim for Care Homes World Cup
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
CAPS hope for fresh start
0
Monday, 13 May 2013 Comments
New twist to Dynamos bid
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
HIV scare for Kirsty
1
Wednesday, 01 May 2013 Comments
Bosso mean business
0
Tuesday, 07 May 2013 Comments
Diya kicked out
0
Sunday, 05 May 2013 Comments
Platinum aim to end Bosso jinx
0
Thursday, 09 May 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 223
Article Count 493
Article Count 433
Article Count 467
Article Count 590
Cartoon
Weather