Sunday, 13 January 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
Jimmy Jambo’s season over
Monday, 22 October 2012 12:02
HARARE - Zimbabwe and Kaizer Chiefs fullback Jimmy Jambo is expected to undergo surgery after suffering a horror tackle from compatriot Tinashe Nengomasha of Bidvest Wits on Friday night.

Jambo, whose season is over, was stretchered off after suffering the injury while Nengomasha was shown a straight red card by the referee in the 90th minute of the Telkom Knockout first round clash between the two teams.

The Clever Boys went on to win the match 3-2 courtesy of goals from Matthew Pattison, Papy Faty and Letsie Koapeng.

Chiefs had responded through strikes from the red-hot Bernard Parker and Lehlohonolo Majoro.

Jambo’s injury was however, the talking point of the largely entertaining five-goal thriller that had action swinging from end to end.

“Jimmy Jambo is likely to be sidelined for the rest of the season.”

Kaizer Chiefs medical team confirmed that Jambo was seen by an orthopaedic surgeon at the weekend.

“He will await the scan but at the moment it looks like an ACL and posterolateral corner torn. He will undergo surgery this week and will likely miss the rest of the season.”

This week is going to be a telling week for the fullback as he is likely to know his fate in the Asiagate match-fixing scandal.

Jambo was among the more than 100 Zimbabwe players provisionally suspended by the Zimbabwe Football Association for their part in the biggest scandal to hit local football.

Last week, Zifa banned five active players and 10 officials for life at the behest of the independent Ethics Committee.

More sanctions to the suspended players are expected to be announced later this week.

Meanwhile, Clever Boys midfielder and scorer Pattison quashed speculation that Chiefs were inadequately prepared for Friday’s match.

Last week, much of the pre-match talk revolved around the returning Bafana Bafana players who had to settle in the Chiefs setup after the national team played an international friendly against Kenya in Nairobi in midweek.

“If you say Chiefs are unsettled, they are sitting top of the league by a long way, so I don’t know if that’s unsettled, you know what I mean?” Pattison said.

Pattison said the Soweto outfit were good enough to deal with the disruption of having their full squad together for only a few days before the game.

“At the end of the day we’re all professionals, and I’m sure they’re fit enough to play this game,” he said.

“Even with a lot of players away with internationals, they’re professionals, and I’m sure they can cope with two games in a week.”

Pattison praised his side’s game plan after they forced Amakhosi to make mistakes.

“Our game was to press them from the start, and we did that,” he said.  
 
 
 
 
 

 

Comments [0]

 
 
Popular Stories
 
Jaure stays at DeMbare
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Ausburg suspend Musona
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Motor Action hold trials
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Celtic still keen on Mutuma
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
SA clubs line up Chitiyo
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Mukamba Wits deal draws close
0
Friday, 04 January 2013 Comments
Tyrone confirms Kirsty lobola
0
Friday, 04 January 2013 Comments
Musona welcome back: Chiefs
0
Wednesday, 09 January 2013 Comments
Farewell, Gazza!
0
Tuesday, 08 January 2013 Comments
Dynamos to get pittance for Denver
0
Sunday, 06 January 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 217
Article Count 377
Article Count 665
Article Count 729
Article Count 812
Cartoon
Weather