Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
We won’t fail, says Matinenga
By Fungai Kwaramba, Staff Writer
Sunday, 30 December 2012 14:00
HARARE - Zimbabwe's political players are determined to find common ground and resolve contentious issues, Constitutional Affairs minister Eric Matinenga said this week.

Following a meeting of a special committee set up by the Global Political Agreement (GPA) Principals President Robert Mugabe, Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and Industry minister Welshman Ncube, Matinenga declared the constitution-making process will not collapse.

“All parties are in agreement that this process must not be allowed to collapse. Tinonyarirepi (how will we handle the shame) after all we have gone through. I can assure you we will find a way out of this situation,” Matinenga said.

He said the committee had agreed on some issues but there were still disagreements on others.

“We are just coming out of a meeting and I can tell you that we have agreed on some of the contentious issues but still there are disagreements on the others.

“The negotiators are going back to their respective Principals for further consultations,” said Matinenga without elaborating.

 “A final paper of what has been agreed and what is still to be negotiated will be available soon and at the moment, I am not in a position to tell you the specifics,” he said.

“I am looking at maybe two weeks to reconvene the committee because it is most likely going to take a bit more time than necessary because of the holidays. Most of the institutions in the political parties that have to be consulted are on holiday,” he said.

The special committee was set up by the GPA Principals from the constitution select committee (Copac) management committee, to unlock the deadlock over the new draft constitution.

Disagreements arose in the aftermath of the second All-Stakeholders conference at which divergent views emerged with contentions on how to proceed.

Now referred to as the July 18 draft constitution, Zimbabwe’s constitution-making process has been beset by constant bickering and heckling with Zanu PF accused by its coalition partners of stalling progress.

Mugabe and Tsvangirai have meanwhile placed a gag order on their negotiating officials with all of them refusing to comment on the negotiations so far.

Matinenga said the gag order was meant to depoliticise the constitution-making process.

“There are fears that if we allow these political players to speak on this process, it will be politicised and they will parrot their political ideologies ahead of national interests,” said Matinenga.

The latest developments mean Zimbabwe’s much-anticipated elections in 2013 may after all not be held in March as demanded by Zanu PF.

As part of its wish list, Mugabe’s party resolved at its 13th annual pilgrimage in Gweru early this month that the octogenarian strongman should dissolve Parliament if there was no agreed draft by Christmas.
 
 
   
 
 
 

 


 
 
Popular Stories
 
Tsvangirai warns security chiefs
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Madzore’s bail hearing deferred
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe ‘bootlicking’ bishop goes gear up
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Dad rapes daughter as son watches
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Manhunt for $412 000 armed robbers
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Mujuru outwits Mnangagwa
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe’s secret to long life
0
Monday, 06 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe draws iron curtain around Zim
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe's do or die date
0
Sunday, 05 May 2013 Comments
2008 ghost haunts Mugabe
0
Friday, 03 May 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 236
Article Count 493
Article Count 433
Article Count 467
Article Count 590
Cartoon
Weather