Sunday, 13 January 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
MDC youths want Gutu South seat
Wednesday, 14 November 2012 11:01
HARARE - Youths in Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai’s party want the vacant Gutu South seat reserved for them in the next polls.

Addressing a rally in Gutu South over the weekend, Clifford Hlatshwayo, the spokesperson the MDC youth assembly, declared the youths’ interest in the seat, left vacant following the death of Public Service minister Eliphas Mukonoweshuro in July last year.

“I have no apology to make, why can we not have a youth standing here as MP?” asked Hlatshwayo. “It is very sad that in the youth assembly we only have one MP, this must come to an end.”

Meanwhile, Eriam Musendekwa, a member of the MDC youth assembly in Masvingo Province, has thrown his name in the hat to contest the Gutu South seat on an MDC ticket.

Hlatshwayo claimed most youths have been used to fight political wars for the old guard while they remain down-trodden.

“We say no to be used by these big politicians to campaign for them,” he said. “This is our time, we want to learn so that when we eventually take over, we would have grasped a lot of things from our current leaders.”

The young politician also took aim at Zanu PF secretary for Economic affairs and Mines minister, Obert Mpofu whom he accused of looting diamond proceeds from Chiadzwa in Marange.

“He has grown so big such that his body cannot be compared to anyone. He has bought almost everything in Vic falls (Victoria Falls),” said Hlatshwayo.

“He has gone on to buy a bank using our money when most civil servants are living in abject poverty. This is unfair. The best way to get rid of such people is voting Zanu PF out of government.”

However, Mpofu says he has never been poor in his whole life and challenges those claiming that he is looting the country’s resources.

The MDC youths also demanded explanation from Zanu PF as to where it got the funds to construct a mega conference centre in Gweru.

The conference centre cost more than $6 million but funding for the project has remained a mystery. - Xolisani Ncube
 
 
   
 
 
 

 

Comments [1]

london
Posted On 14 Nov 2012 16:14:00
Go for it boys. Now that Madzore is free the struggle continues.
 
 
 
Popular Stories
 
Chinese woman jailed for three years
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
UZ bars Madzore
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Zanu PF disowns Kereke
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Zinatha president Chavhunduka dies
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
WikiLeaks return trigger tremors
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Mugabe’s ministers rush to TB Joshua
0
Thursday, 03 January 2013 Comments
Mugabe exposes self
0
Sunday, 30 December 2012 Comments
Commanders enter poll race
0
Friday, 04 January 2013 Comments
Mugabe rushes back
1
Thursday, 10 January 2013 Comments
Zanu PF, MDC agree
0
Wednesday, 09 January 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 217
Article Count 377
Article Count 665
Article Count 729
Article Count 812
Cartoon
Weather