Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
Ex-city treasurer bounces back
Friday, 03 May 2013 10:42
HARARE - Former city treasurer and finance director for Harare Cosmos Zvikaramba has bounced back into council.

Zvikaramba unceremoniously left the local authority in 2010 following the return of Misheck Mubvumbi, who had been fired by past Harare deputy mayor Sekesai Makwavarara.

He then sued council for constructive dismissal.

Council human resources director Masiye Kapare said there are irregularities in Zvikaramba’s reinstatement which call for redress.

“Though the resolution was enshrined in December last year’s minutes, as HR we have not received the exact details of employment from the Chief Executive (town clerk Tendai Mahachi). The procedural process was not followed,” said Kapare.

“We are not sure whether he is back at work with the same position he sued council for ‘constructive dismissal’ or a new contract altogether. That becomes a problem because he is being paid every month,” he said.

According to the authority’s regulations, after a council resolution to reappoint a director, a report containing contract details from the city chief executive should be submitted to the human resources department preceding resumption of work.

But officials say the regulation was breached as Zvikaramba reported for duty in February this year holding a “non-existent” title of business unit director.

Soon after the “reinstatement”, council admitted that it was struggling to streamline the pair’s duties to avoid confusion because Zvikaramba’s job description was similar to Mubvumbi’s.

When reached for comment by the Daily News, business committee chairperson councillor Thomas Muzuva said the position did not exist on the council organogram.

“We do not have such a position in council,” said Muzuva.

Zvikaramba, who was fingered in the 54-page land scam report following investigations by the fired councillor Warship Dumba-led team in 2009, legally argued that his duties had been taken over by Mubvumbi, leaving him irrelevant.

He won the case and the Labour Court ordered the struggling authority to pay $2 million as compensation.

However, the cash-strapped authority negotiated for reinstatement as they tried to evade paying the millions.

Last year, Chombo accused the local authority of overstepping its powers by reinstating Mubvumbi and water director Christopher Zvobgo.

Duplication of duties has been a concern within the local authority.

In the department of health, there is director of city health services Stanley Mungofa and director of health services (administration) Prosper Chonzi, whose roles are almost the same.

The city once paid out $4, 5 million to 317 workers who had been absent from work for up to three years.

Likewise, some of the workers returned to work because no formal suspensions and dismissals had been effected.
 
 
   
 
 
 

 


 
 
Popular Stories
 
Shamu slammed over elections comments
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Battle for Goromonzi gets dirty
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Fully implement GPA before polls: Sadc Troika
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Tsvangirai struggles to register children
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Cops continue onslaught on civil society
0
Tuesday, 14 May 2013 Comments
Mujuru outwits Mnangagwa
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe’s secret to long life
0
Monday, 06 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe draws iron curtain around Zim
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe's do or die date
0
Sunday, 05 May 2013 Comments
2008 ghost haunts Mugabe
0
Friday, 03 May 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 223
Article Count 493
Article Count 433
Article Count 467
Article Count 590
Cartoon
Weather