Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
Chinese national in shares scam challenges remand placement
Thursday, 01 November 2012 09:45
HARARE - A Chinese national who allegedly converted a family friend’s company shares into his name before stealing $70 million has challenged his placement on remand.

The man Liu Cheng Hsiao, 55, through his lawyer Musindo Hungwe yesterday challenged his placement on remand, denying any wrong-doing.

He claims there was no complainant in the matter, adding the allegations were vague.

Liu who is facing fraud and theft of trust property charges told the court considering the circumstances in the case, the allegations did not constitute a crime hence he should be set free.

The state is today expected to respond to the application.

Prosecutors told the court Liu was employed by the complainant, whose name was not mentioned in court papers during the time the alleged crime was committed. The complainant is the owner of a company called Fok Hing Industries, based in Hong Kong.

The court heard Liu came into the country to manage Fok Hing Industries’ seven subsidiary companies after he was seconded by the complainant, following the collapse of his company in Taiwan.

The company’s shareholders were Wong Shu Wai and Tsoi Yu Yu.

It is alleged Liu, however, went on to fraudulently appoint himself and his wife Luan Shen as directors of the company on a 50 percent each shareholding capacity.

He became a signatory to the companies’ three bank accounts.

The court further heard between 2002 and March this year Liu would ask for money to run business in the country.

He claimed some of the money was meant to pay service providers, the court heard.

It is alleged the complainant transferred $70 million to supplied bank accounts and to service providers as indicated by Liu.

The court heard, last year the complainant asked for financial returns from Liu but nothing came up.

The complainant then came into the country to seek clarification from Liu. According to state papers, Liu failed to account for $70 million that had been injected into the company, leading to his arrest. - Tendai Kamhungira
 
 
       
 
 
 

 

Comments [0]

 
 
Popular Stories
 
Tsvangirai warns security chiefs
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Madzore’s bail hearing deferred
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe ‘bootlicking’ bishop goes gear up
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Dad rapes daughter as son watches
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Manhunt for $412 000 armed robbers
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Mujuru outwits Mnangagwa
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe’s secret to long life
0
Monday, 06 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe draws iron curtain around Zim
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe's do or die date
0
Sunday, 05 May 2013 Comments
2008 ghost haunts Mugabe
0
Friday, 03 May 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 236
Article Count 493
Article Count 433
Article Count 467
Article Count 590
Cartoon
Weather