 |
| Indigenisation minister, Saviour Kasukuwere. |
HARARE - Zimbabwe’s indigenisation scandal has taken another turn after President Robert Mugabe designated part of the land owned by platinum producer Zimplats for compulsory acquisition.
Now dubbed the Nieebgate Scandal after a Daily News exposé, the scam has opened a pandora’s box that has attracted the attention of corruption watchdog, the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission, who have confirmed they are now trying to sniff out all unsavoury transactions.
Minister of Mines Obert Mpofu, whose ministry was not consulted prior to the Nieeb deal, announced on February 12, 2013, the takeover of part of Zimplats mineral resources which formed part of the negotiated deal in a move that analysts interpreted either as snubbing the signed deal or a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
In a government Gazette published yesterday, Mugabe gave notice to acquire the land 40km east of the small mining town of Kadoma.
The land measures 27 948 hectares.
In terms of section 398 (1) of the Mines and Minerals Act (Chapter 21:05), that the President intends to acquire compulsorily part of the land owned by Zimplats Holdings under Special Mining Lease number 1 as it fully appears below for the utilisation of such mining allocation for the benefit of the public,” reads the decree.
Mugabe goes on to invite those willing to contest the decision to lodge such complaints with the Mines ministry.
Zimplats’ parent company, Implats early this week claimed it was not aware of any acquisition after government announced through Mines minister Obert Mpofu that it was seizing part of its 48 535ha land.
In a mega-agreement hailed by Mugabe’s proponents as landmark, Zimplats last month agreed to the transfer of 20 percent of its shareholding to an employee and community ownership trust funds while 31 percent would go towards the discredited National Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Fund under a conditional non-binding term sheet fronted by Youth and Indigenisation minister Saviour Kasukuwere.
Zimplats holds a special mining lease over two areas in the country totalling 48 535ha in extent.
Mpofu confirmed that the State had “repossessed” 27 948ha of land from Zimplats, which is listed in Australia and is 87 percent owned by Implats, adding the land had been seized “with immediate effect” and offered to other investors.
“Zimbabwe has not realised significant value from the platinum sector beyond the traditional statutory payments. We can no longer continue having our minerals refined outside the country,” he was quoted as saying.
“You can only compensate for land that has been bought. The ground belongs to Zimbabwe and there cannot be talks of compensation when the land belongs to you,” Mpofu reportedly said.
However, Implats, Zimplats’ parent firm, said it had no knowledge of the intention to seize its land, neither had it been briefed about it.
“We are unaware of it and we are trying to get clarification, but with no joy,” spokesperson Bob Gilmour told the international media recently.
It is not clear whether the land seized contains mineral resources or whether it formed part of Zimplats’ expansion plans.