HARARE - The Supreme Court has postponed the bail appeal for 26 MDC activists who are incarcerated for allegedly murdering a police inspector in Harare’s Glen View suburb last year.
According to both defence and state lawyers, Supreme Court judge Anne-Mary Gowora deferred the matter to December 6 as the court did not have enough time to go through the state’s heads of argument.
Both the defence and state are expected to submit supplementary heads of argument for the judge to review.
High court judge Chinembiri Bhunu granted bail to three of the 29 accused as the trial proceeded.
Bhunu last week said he would release more persons if the defence and the state agreed on those eligible for bail.
But on Friday state prosecutor Edmore Nyazamba said after going through the recording of proceedings, none of the accused deserved to be admitted on bail.
Defence lawyer Beatrice Mtetwa said Nyazamba’s argument was not a surprise, claiming that the state was avoiding her whenever she called to discuss about the matter.
“We are not surprised about the state’s stance; we will not contest to this because we would want to have this matter move expeditiously. We would rather have our attention drawn to the trial. On the issue of bail, this court (High Court) told us that we could be wasting the court’s time.
“We would rather concentrate on our appeal at the Supreme Court and leave this court to finish with the trial,” said Mtetwa.
- Bridget Mananavire