Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
Mine closes as workers’ wives strike
Wednesday, 16 January 2013 14:51
MASVINGO - Masvingo's biggest gold producer, Rio Tinto’s Renco Mine, has been forced to halt operations after workers’ wives staged a strike and blocked their husbands from going to work.

The irate wives said they were angered by Rio Zimbabwe’s failure to increase salaries as well as pay last year’s annual bonuses.

They camped at the main entrance of the mine in the wee hours of Monday and blocked access into the mine.
When the Daily News arrived at the mine, over 800 women from the mining compound were blocking the gate, toyi toying and singing while demanding their husbands’ dues.

Renco Mine workers’ wives association leader Doreen Madzora said they protested on behalf of their husbands because workers who go on strike face victimisation and termination of employment.

“It is us and the children who bear the brunt of our husbands’ poor remuneration. We are blocking the mine from carrying out operations until they increase salaries and give our husbands their bonuses,” said Madzora.

The women said their husbands were earning meagre salaries of between $100 and $300-a-month. They are demanding a salary hike for their husbands in line with the Poverty Datum Line (PDL) hovering above $500.

Renco Mine workers’ committee chairperson Vincent Matiza confirmed the workers were banking on their wives’ action.

“We have been blocked from entering our workplace by our wives who left us in bed early in the morning,” he said.

“It is true we were not given our bonuses last year and our employer is declining to increase our paltry salaries. So our wives took it upon themselves to express their disgruntlement,” said Matiza.

“They say they will only move if their demands are met.”

Matiza said workers’ rights such as embarking on a job action were not respected at the mine.
 
He claimed that about 100 workers were fired for participating or attempting to organise an industrial action to demand decent wages and better working conditions last year alone.

Renco Mine manager Syprine Kachisa declined to comment when the Daily News visited his residence saying he was chased away by angry mine workers’ wives when he attempted to access his office.

“I am the mine manager but I am not allowed to comment to the press. You better get in touch with Rio Zimbabwe MD, Ashton Ndlovu at our head offices in Harare,” said Kachisa.

Ndlovu could not be reached for comment as he was said to be out of the country. - Godfrey Mtimba
 
 
   
 
 
 

 

Comments [0]

 
 
Popular Stories
 
Dad rapes daughter as son watches
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Manhunt for $412 000 armed robbers
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Pair found with explosives, arrested
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Senate passes constitutional Bill
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Hero’s son wanted for stock theft
0
Wednesday, 15 May 2013 Comments
Mujuru outwits Mnangagwa
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe’s secret to long life
0
Monday, 06 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe draws iron curtain around Zim
0
Wednesday, 08 May 2013 Comments
Mugabe's do or die date
0
Sunday, 05 May 2013 Comments
2008 ghost haunts Mugabe
0
Friday, 03 May 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 233
Article Count 493
Article Count 433
Article Count 467
Article Count 590
Cartoon
Weather