Saturday, 12 January 2013
Mobile Version
    
 
Olive branch for Theatre in the Park
Thursday, 15 November 2012 12:20
HARARE - Zimbabwe International Book Fair (ZIBF) are ready to re-engage Theatre in the Park over a venue used by the latter if the theatre organisation apologises first.

The two arts organisations have been involved in an ugly spat over their failure to agree on a new contract for the venue used by Theatre in the Park owned by ZIBF.

Theatre in the Park have used the gazebo in the ZIBF grounds as their outdoor theatre venue for the past 17 years but have refused to sign a new contract.

The theatre organisation which is led by popular actor Daves Guzha alleges that ZIBF have unilaterally shortened the agreement’s lifespan to six months instead of a full year.

Yesterday, ZIBF chairpeson Musaemura Zimunya gave the clearest indication that the two parties could find common ground.

“We hope to give peace a chance”, the ZIBF chairperson told the Daily News.

“What we have said on the matter is enough but naturally we expect them to apologise. They have continued to use the venue despite the fact that they have not signed an agreement with us”.

Zimunya, a University of Zimbabwe lecturer, who is also the chairperson of the Zimbabwe Writers Association, believes that it is in the best interests of Theatre in the Park to re-engage with ZIBF.

“We cannot determine how they should re-engange with us but the sooner they do it, the better. We think an apology to us will not be a bad idea.”

Zimunya was unwilling to say more on the matter but in an interview with the Daily News on Sunday last week, he described Theatre in the Park’s allegations as “an extreme exercise in truth-twisting”.

The ZIBF boss added that the standoff had been caused by Theatre in the Park’s failure to renew the agreement when it expired early this year.

“…Rooftop Promotions (owners of Theatre in the Park) failed to seek to renew the agreement at its expiry in February even though they continued to occupy and use ZIBF premises and only came to the negotiating table in July.

“ZIBF put forward six months beginning in July only as a suggestion because even after requiring Rooftop Promotions to indicate exactly when their desired year’s agreement should begin, they were not forthcoming”. - Dakarai Mashava
 
 
 
 
 

 

Comments [0]

 
 
Popular Stories
 
Zim producer makes history in UK
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
‘Winky D, victim of jealous detractors’
0
Saturday, 12 January 2013 Comments
Macheso happy with latest album
0
Wednesday, 09 January 2013 Comments
Jah Prayzah, Sulu in crowd pulling test
0
Wednesday, 09 January 2013 Comments
Headmaster meets Snr Lecturer
0
Wednesday, 09 January 2013 Comments
Macheso happy with latest album
0
Wednesday, 09 January 2013 Comments
Zhakata’s guitarist drops second album
0
Friday, 04 January 2013 Comments
Zim actor joins Generations
0
Monday, 07 January 2013 Comments
Fungisai in futile plea for peace
0
Tuesday, 08 January 2013 Comments
Fungisai snubs Shingisai
0
Friday, 04 January 2013 Comments
Archived Stories
Article Count 217
Article Count 377
Article Count 665
Article Count 729
Article Count 812
Cartoon
Weather